1) Like Jack LaLanne said, “If man made it don’t eat it.” In other words, if it comes in a box or a bag your best bet is to skip it.
Eddie Vedder also recommended that during YellowLedbetter, “Don’t eat it if comes in a box ooorrr aaaa bag… oh, no, no.” Go take a listen.
2) Buy locally at farmers markets as much as possible. Stick it to the man.
3) Focus on pesticide free produce and hormone/anti-biotic free meat.
4) Make sure your fish is wild caught and not farm raised.
5) Avoid drinking or eating out of plastic.
Unless it’s one of those Giants helmets that you put beers into with the straw permanently connected to your mouth. Anything NY Giants related is acceptable as far as I’m concerned.
6) Up your fiber intake from veggies and berries. A healthy pooping schedule will keep you around a little longer.
7) Shop for food at least twice per week. Keep it fresh like a pair of Jordan 1’s.
8) Chew your food until it’s pureed before swallowing. Then open your mouth and show it to everyone at the table like you did when you were six. Chicks dig that.
9) Eat organic.
10) Eat raw foods as much as possible. But not turkey and lamb chops. You know what I mean.
11) Eat more greens.
12) Cut down on gluten and strongly consider eliminating it completely.
13) To gain more size eat more potatoes and white rice.
14) Drink half your bodyweight in ounces of water per day.
15) Use digestive enzymes and probiotics.
16) Eat probiotic containing foods such as kimchi and live sauerkraut on a daily basis.
17) Eat fruit. Even if your goal is fat loss you can still get away with 3-5 servings per day.
18) Take a good mixed green supplement when traveling, during the winter and times of stress.
19) Cut out sugar. There is nothing good about it.
20) If possible, don’t eat while you’re working. Learn to enjoy your food and focus on one thing at a time.
21) Drink fresh pressed cranberry juice. The real stuff; not Ocean Spray.
22) Don’t overcook your food and destroy vital nutrients.
23) Avoid sugar alcohols.
24) Milk does NOT do a body good.
25) As Paleo expert Robb Wolf says, eat nuts like you do condiments- in limited quantities. And when you eat them make sure you say “Deez nutz,” like the guy on The Chronic did.
26) If you have any digestive or autoimmune issues get rid of nuts until you’re healthy.
27) Beer has hops, which can elevate estrogen and also contains gluten, which causes inflammation and some more serious issues for certain people. I recommend Chopin vodka and soda with a lime.
28) Always maintain an adequate intake of Omega 3 fatty acids.
29) Don’t fear saturated fat. High quality sources like coconut oil and grass fed beef are essential for good health.
30) If you’re gonna make weed brownies don’t make them taste too good. You know why.
31) If you have symptoms of adrenal fatigue cut out all stimulants. And take a nap.
32) If you don’t, a cup or two of high quality, black coffee per day is a great thing and can actually enhance fat burning if timed properly.
33) But don’t put a stick of butter in it.
34) If you train early in the morning before eating take 10 grams of BCAA 15-30 minutes before.
35) Drink freshly squeezed vegetable juices daily. This is a great source of vital nutrition and live enzymes.
36) Use apple cider vinegar with meals to improve digestion. It’s also fun to replace your buddy’s bottle of apple juice with this sometimes when he’s not looking.
37) To improve recovery from workouts eliminate inflammation-causing foods.
38) For muscle gain set calories at 16xBW per day as a starting point. This may have to go up to 20xBW if you’re a naturally ripped teen, but it’s better to start on the low end then step it up slowly from there.
39) For fat loss set calories at 14xBW per day as a starting point. Over time you will slowly drop this to 12xBW and maybe even all the way down to 10xBW at the very end of a diet phase. But if you start too low too early you have nowhere to go when your fat loss comes to a halt.
40) Rotate your food choices. Don’t eat the exact same thing day after day.
41) Try new foods as often as possible. Instead of chicken try quail. Instead of an apple eat some exotic type of pear you’ve never had before.
Or a cumquat. I just mentioned that because I love that word and could say it all day. In fact, I think I will. Cumquat. Say it with me…
42) Red palm and coconut oil are the only oils I recommend cooking with.
43) Spend less time per day in the fed state. This will improve your overall health and you will feel a hell of a lot better. That means space out your meals a little more and don’t snacking all day. And try to have 12 hours between dinner and breakfast.
44) Learn to deal with hunger. It will not cause your immediate death. Learn to control all of your desires and you will gain more control over you life. Malcolm X was very big on this.
45) If you travel a lot and need some bars for convenience check out “youbar”. This is an awesome resource to get fresh made bars with clean, organic ingredients. Warning- since these are made fresh they only last a few weeks, so don’t order too many boxes at once.
46) Cook your own food at home more; go out to eat less.
47) Avoid all artificial sweeteners and dyes. Unless you are dying stripes into your goatee like Superstar Billy Graham.
Say yes to beard dyes, no to food dyes.
48) Pay attention to the way you feel after eating something. If you get bloated, tired or have a runny nose you know that food is not for you.
49) I know I said not to work while eating but once in a while you could try a George Costanza and combine life’s two greatest desires. Think organic raw whipped cream or coconut cream and melted organic dark chocolate.
50) Feel free to throw out all the rules once in a while and indulge.
Jay Ferruggia is a fitness & lifestyle consultant who has helped thousands of guys get fit, get their shit together and start living awesome lives. He’s been featured in Men’s Fitness, Details, Men’s Health, ESPN, Muscle & Fitness, CBS, & Fast Company. His work is fueled by Renegade Coffee & old school hip hop.